Create AR, VR, and 3D apps in your browser - quickly and easily
3D experiences are here, and Amazon Sumerian is the quickest and easiest way to build one! Amazon is challenging you to create AR, VR, or 3D apps using their browser-based IDE. Sumerian’s unmatched ease-of-use, you can build highly immersive and interactive scenes for a variety of headsets, and both iOS and Android devices. Sumerian’s one-click publishing removes the need to build for each platform from scratch. And with AR Kit-compatibility, a ton of graphics to choose from, and plenty of room for customization, you will be publishing in 3D in no time.
Participants in this hackathon have access to tutorial and training materials to learn to build immersive apps with Amazon Sumerian and will receive support throughout the challenge via our Slack community, Twitch, and webinars. Experts will provide a training on the Sumerian service and provide insights into creating apps that integrate with Amazon Polly, Amazon Lex, DynamoDB, S3, IoT, ML, AI, Amplify and other AWS services.
For this challenge, you’ll build experiences that fall into one of the following categories:
- Education, Training, and Simulations
- Brand Engagement and Retail
- Entertainment, Hospitality and Media
- Other (new product/service, etc)
Bonus: We will also be selecting winners for Best VR, AR and 2D app as well as best use of a Sumerian Host or Chatbot. In addition to all the great prizes you can win, the first 100 eligible submissions will win $250 in AWS Credits! Need some inspiration? Jump over to the Categories tab to read up on potential use cases, and over to the Resources tab for compatible devices, tutorials, documentation, and more.
Main Requirement: Create and publish apps using Amazon Sumerian’s browser-based IDE that fit into one of the challenge categories.
Submit the following assets:
- A demo video (hosted on YouTube, Vimeo, or Youku). Your video should include a demo of your working application via a step-by-step visual demo. Screencasting is a good way to demo these apps.
- Submission form. Written description of the app, use case, value proposition, category of submission, designated device, and any necessary operational instructions. If your app requires specific steps for use or if you designed with a specific device in mind, you must include the details on your submission form.
- URL for your published app for evaluation. Provide the unique URL you will receive when your app is published.
How to enter
How to Enter:
- Register for the hackathon on Devpost.
- Review the Resources and Categories to help get started.
- Find a teammate (optional) by reaching out to other developers on the Participants tab or joining the Sumerian Slack channel (slack.sumerian.world/) and use the #hackathon room.
- Sign up for an AWS developer account, if you don’t already have one. The 12-month trial is free.
- Create a Cognito ID (here’s how).
- Create and publish your application.
- Shoot your demo video and take screenshots of your functioning app.
- Provide access to your app to Devpost by including your unique Amazon URL and any operational instructions on your submission form.
- Submit your application on amazonsumerian.devpost.com BEFORE January 8th, 2019 @ 5pm EST!
Industry Partnerships Manager, RMIT
GM Strategy & New Product, RMIT
Immersive Technologies Evangelist and Producer, HowToCreateVR.com
Founder & CEO, Digital Jam
Global Executive Director, VR/AR Association
AVP, Viveport, HTC Vive
Principal Engineer, AWS
General Manager, Amazon Sumerian
Creative Director, Amazon Sumerian
Applicability & Impact
(Clarity of the use case (opportunity/problem addressed), extent to which the app/solution can be widely adopted; impact)
Design & User Experience
(Quality, completeness, and creativity/originality; clarity of the user interface, interaction, design and experience)
Technical Design & Implementation
(Architecture of the solution, functional robustness; stability of the implementation; how well the idea is executed)
Appropriate use of AWS services
(Use of AWS services to support the deployment, management, and functionality of the solution)
Submission & Presentation
(Quality of the functional app and working demo; quality, completeness, and clarity of supporting documentation (written/video))